|HOME | FORUM | SITEMAP|
Who are Survivalists?
The short answer is that they can be anybody. Set out below is the results from a survey we carried out in 2001. These clearly show that the media stereotypes to not hold true for the vast majority of survivalists.
Results of the 2001 Survivalist survey
There were a total of 152 responses to the survey conducted in late 2001. 21 of these were found to be duplicates and were deleted from the analysis.
Hindsight suggests some of the questions could have been better worded and the results may be biased towards internet users, however, as the intention was in part to determine who you may meet online in newsgroups or who visits websites such as this one the results are still valid.
The results to the survey questions are detailed below:
1) How old are you?
2) Are you male of female?
3) What is your marital status?
4) What is your occupation?
5) What is your total pre-tax family income?
6) What was your highest level of education?
7) What is your ethnic background?
8) Your views on religion are?
9) Which term most accurately describes your approach to survival?
See the article by Meg Raven here for an explanation of the categories.
10) From where do you see the most likely threats to humanity coming from?
This question allowed multiple selections to most common was the threat of government and/or economic collapse. The least common was the threat of the apocalypse or invasions from outer space etc.
11) How long have you been a survivalist?
12) How many months food do you really have stored?
13) How much do you spend per year on survival supplies/equipment?
14) How was this money spent?
This question also allowed multiple selections. Responses were evenly spread across weapons & ammunition, emergency lighting/cooking, First Aid, Books, Water Storage & Purification, Multitools/knives, Food Storage Supplies, Food and Food Production and Communication.
The least amount of money was spent on NBC shelters and protection.
15) Do you have any military training?
16) How long before you believe society will collapse for whatever reason?
For commentary on these results click here.
2008 TEN YEARS OF AUSSURVIVALIST
April 15, 2008